Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What I'm Working On: Danamarie of Greenstarstudio

There's never a dull moment in the ol' Greenstarstudio... and there's never a blank desk or an empty shelf or a naked knitting needle. And, in the midst of 5 other "in progress" what I'm-Working-Ons I thought I'd share this one with you!

I was invited to participate in a very exciting show, staring this little wooden guy here.

The Kokeshi Show – From Folk Art to Art Toy
July 2009 - September 2009
LATDA/ Los Angeles Toy, Doll & Amusements Museum and guest curator, Christina Conway, are carefully selecting 100 artists to customize creative style wooden Japanese Kokeshi dolls to be part of a comprehensive Kokeshi exhibition at the Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles, California. "This exhibition will be an exploration of the kokeshi doll, the traditional Japanese Folk toy originating in the mid-19th century, and how its status as a cultural icon has grown from cheap souvenir to esoteric collectible and now, to a new generation of artists, a source of inspiration for creative expression"

My mission, and i've chosen to accept it, is to turn this sweet little wooden doll into something unique and amazing. The Kokeshi blank stands approximately 8" tall and has a head that's about 2.25" round.





What to do, what to do...
Well, since Christina specifically sited both my knitimals and my painting in her invite, I'm thinking I'd HAVE to incorporate both into the final design. I'll update the progress of my Kokeshi on my blog, so if you're interested, follow me there!

1 comment:

shellydaly said...

Congratualations on getting noticed and supported by a museum. It must be nerve racking, but you'll do an amazing job! good luck...can't wait to see what you come up with! shelly