Vegetarian Tomato-less Chili
Chili is a great winter dish that is both easy to make and filling. Try this tomato-less version
for a different spin on things- the herbs and lemon zest really add a
nice flavor. If you're not vegetarian, feel free to add ground turkey,
chicken, or beef instead of tempeh. Enjoy!
Vegetarian Tomato-less Chili by Savor & Nourish
(makes 5 servings)
8 oz tempeh (1 package), chopped into bite-sized bits
2 tbs olive oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 yellow squash, chopped
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2- 15oz cans beans (Kidney & Pinto), drained and rinsed
2 tbs chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
zest of one lemon
3 tbs lemon juice
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1. Heat a large pot over medium flame. Add 1 tbs olive oil and tempeh.
Cook tempeh until golden brown (about 5 minutes). Stir occasionally.
2. Add 1 tbs olive oil, pepper, zucchini, squash, onions, garlic. Cook 5 minutes.
3. Add beans and spices. Stir to combine.
4. Add broth. Bring to a simmer. Lower heat, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes.
5. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, and cilantro. Stir to combine. Cook another 5 minutes.
Written by Open Eyes Press. Photo and recipe courtesy Savor & Nourish.