Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ten Question Tuesday - Green Post

Q: Who are you? Give us the 411 about yourself.
A: My name is Kendra Zvonik. I am 38 years old and a Sagittarius. I am an abstract painter and eco paper crafter on Etsy. I am also a Pacific Northwest native who has recently moved to St. Petersburg FL with my husband, Christian, who is a glassblower by trade and is presently working for a sailboat canvassing company. I also live with my dog, Herbie, who keeps me company during my solitary days.

Q: When/How did you start your business?
A: I have been painting full-time for about 10 years. I started selling paintings online in April 2008 after searching for a fellow artist friend whom I had lost contact with and discovered again on Etsy. She talked me into joining Etsy and I have been obsessed ever since.

Q: Apart from creating things, what do you do?
A: Much of my time is consumed with my work, especially since I started my eco paper business. But, I try very hard to maintain some kind of balance in my life. So, I enjoy walking on the beach with my husband and dog, hunting for good vintage finds, watching movies and, most especially, doing nothing. I also enjoy spending time with Christian's family who live about an hour south of here. Christian's grandmother, Betty, is one of my best friends. At age 87, she gives me a ton of perspective on life and she makes me feel at home.

Q: What first made you want to become an artist?
A: I have always had a strong desire to express my innermost self and I have always wanted freedom more than anything else. I equate being an artist with freedom. I don't think I chose to be this person, it was chosen for me by nature. I have simply allowed my nature to exist instead of repressing it. I have seen what happens to people when they repress their true nature and it is a real tragedy.

Q: What inspires you?
A: The changeable nature of things inspires me; impermanency and growth. I am also inspired by the characteristics of color. Context is everything.

Q: What's your favorite thing about your craft?
A: Currently, I am creating upcycled boat canvas collage paintings using the scraps that my husband brings home from work for me. I am very excited about adding this eco-friendly aspect to my paintings. I was inspired by my other work as a paper crafter to try to add this element to my art as well. I love making art and feel it needs to serve a higher purpose, not just act as decoration. Right now, I feel that protecting our environment is the highest purpose to serve and I want to do my part.

Q: Where would we most likely find you working?
A: I work at home. My studio has taken over the entire house- my life is my art.

Q: What's you favorite music to listen to while you work?
A: I often listen to Last.fm and choose Beirut as a radio station. So, I listen to music similar to Beirut(who I am crazy for!)- DevotchKa and Antony & The Johnsons are a couple of other top favorites. I also listen to movies while I work. Some movies have wonderful soundtracks and you don't need to watch them to enjoy them. Run Lola Run is one of my faves to listen to.

Q: What's your favorite thing right now?
A: Sunshine.

Q: If you could have one wish granted for the craft community, what would it be?
A: I wish that Etsy would consider promoting abstract painter more. It feels like we get overlooked.

1 comment:

M. B. Karger said...

I adore Kendra's work in both of her shops and have a special connection to Green Post. She is one of the only people I have the good fortune to know who is at once a gifted painter, a continually creative crafter, and a savvy entrepreneur. Thank you for featuring one of my all time favorite people!