Saturday, December 4, 2010

Recycled Paper Envelopes Tutorial

Often when I need cards, I find myself making them from paper and scraps of supplies I have around my office instead of purchasing them but for some reason I usually purchase envelopes for these cards. I have plenty of paper that usually gets put in the recycled bin, why am I buying more paper in the form of an envelope? So I worked up a template to make easy envelopes from a standard size piece of paper, therefore envelopes can me made from most magazines that would usually be placed in the recycling bin.

This template will make an A2 (4-3/8" x 5-3/4") envelope but keep in mind that you are hand making it and the dimensions might be slightly off.

What you will need:
2-3 pieces of magazine or newspaper approx. 8.5” x 11”
Scissors or exacto knife
Paper glue
Printer (to print templates)
Pencil
Bonefolder or butter knife
Ruler

1. Download Envelopetemplate.jpg and print it out full size (a scale has been placed on each jpg to help with printing at the correct proportions).

2. Cut out the template for Envelopetemplate.jpg and trace the outside envelope on a piece of paper and cut out the envelope.
3. Repeat step 2 using Envelopetemplate.jpg but cutting out the greyed “Inside Flap Decoration” area. This piece will be added to the inside flap of the envelope to give it some pizzazz.
4. Glue the inside flap piece to the larger envelope, placing it centered in the flap and body area (look at the original template to see approx. placement).
5. Lightly mark fold lines with a pencil and using a bonefolder or the wrong side of a butter knife, score the FOLD lines.* Fold the envelope.

* Scoring a piece adds a notch to the paper that makes it easier to fold. Place the ruler on the fold line and take the bonefolder and run it along the length of the fold. If you do not have a bone folder you can use the back side (the un-serrated edge) of a butter knife. Do not press too hard, you do not want to rip or tear the paper.

6. Using Envelopetemplate.jpg as a guide, glue the flaps on the back of the envelope.

Written by Kolleen of Design by Night

2 comments:

namoo said...

Great idea! Thanks for the template. I think this would make a great holiday project in my house!

tarabu said...

dude, I LOVE this!