Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday Finds: Inspirational Messages

There are many items on etsy showcasing inspirational quotes and messages. I have a fondness for some that come from people who lived in my hometown of Concord Mass.

Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) - She grew up in Concord, along with her three sisters. Best known for her novel Little Women. She was also the first woman to register to vote in Concord!
Here's a nice bookmark with a quote from Louisa May Alcott, from Nostalgia at High Tea.
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862) Author, poet, tax resister, philosopher. Best known for his book Walden, his account of living on Walden Pond for 2 years, 2 months and 2 days. and his essay Civil Disobedience. Here's one of his many quotes seen round the world - on a cute baby tee from Happy Family.
And speaking of Walden Pond, I am one of the very few people that can also say they lived on the Pond. I lived there from 1959 - 1963. There were 5 houses built there, that actually had the pond in our back yards! The homes were bought by the state in 1963 to build a parking lot...which they never did. I also grew up taking swimming lessons here, and frolicking all around the pond in my teens. Whenever I'm in Concord I still walk around it. Wonderful memories.
Here's a great shot of the pond, courtesy of Montagyoo.
Do an etsy search of where you grew up and see what memories it stirs for you!
Written by GlowGirl.

No comments: