Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ten Question Tuesday - Studio Tuesday


Hello! Who are you? Give us the 411 about yourself.
My name is David Scheier. I am a painter and work mostly in watercolor. Some of my work is detailed and realistic and some is more illustrative and whimsical. I am a MICA grad of 2004 (painting). I now live outside of Washington DC where I work as an electrician (and create and sell artwork).

When/how did you start your business?
I started slowly, first only selling originals and taking on commissions every so often. My business became more serious when I invested in a nice printer and started selling prints locally and on etsy.


Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I love spending time outdoors; birdwatching, hiking, collecting fossils, exploring and such.

What first made you want to become an artist?
I've always had a need to create things. Seeing the joy it brings to other people is a big part of it as well.


What inspires you?
Recently I am inspired by nature and the outdoors. I paint a lot of things I see and collect during my outdoor adventures.

What's your favorite thing about your craft?
I like all different techniques and effects you can achieve with such a simple medium like watercolor. Honestly, I also like how there is little clean up - I can pick it up or leave it whenever I want.


Where would we most likely find you working?
In my apartment, on the kitchen table, which is hardly used for eating.

What's your favorite music to listen to while you work?
A good mix, but my favorites are Neil Young, Tom Petty and Springsteen.


What's your favorite thing right now?
Hmmm....birds.

If you could have one wish granted for the craft community, what would it be?
That everyone respect and learn from each other, which I think we are pretty good at.

You can check out more of David's work in his etsy shop

No comments: