Thursday, December 22, 2011

My three things: Gifts for Boys to Inspire Craftiness

I was reading one of two-year-old son’s favorite winter books, the truly lovely Shall I Knit You a Hat, by Kate Klise and M. Sarah Klise, the other day, and it made me think about crafting with kids. Specifically, it made me think of crafting with little boys. This beautifully illustrated book tells the story of a young rabbit and his mother who, on the eve of a huge winter storm, decide to make wonderful and elaborate knitted hats for all their animal friends. Most of the adult crafters I know are women – often mothers – but I’d love for my son and other boys I know to follow in our footsteps. I fully intend to teach my boy to sew, knit, embroider, and make jewelry to the extent that he’s interested. If you’re interested in encouraging the boys in your life to pursue crafty hobbies, Etsy is chock-full with kits and ideas for a range of ages. Here are three (note: most require adult supervision and are appropriate for ages 4 and up):





Written by Lily of {beatrice + the bird}

No comments: