Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Practical and Beautiful

I took a pottery class in college and I loved it, but I found it wasn't my medium for creative expression. I enjoy the practical side of art too much. So when I saw the Baltimore Clayworks was offering a course entitled Architectural Ceramics for the Home, I thought that was something I could really get into.

Here are two pieces by the instructor, Lars Westby:





Architectural Ceramics for the Home

This 12-week course will focus on the creation of ceramic work that may be incorporated into the home as both architectural embellishment and functional design. Projects may include cabinet knobs, backsplash tile, sinks, planters and wall sconces to name but a few. Students will utilize simple plaster press and slump molds supplemented with hand-built and thrown embellishments to realize their designs. Students should come prepared with project ideas which the instructor will help them to realize. The glaze palette will utilize both cone 6 oxidation and cone 10 reduction glazes. This course is open to both hand-building and wheel students, previous clay experience is strongly recommended.
Instructor: Lars Westby
ST3 – Tuesday, 7-10pm, February 10 – April 28
Fee: $325 Members; $345 Non-members

The Baltimore Clayworks is a non-profit ceramic art center housed in two historic buildings in Baltimore, established in 1980 in Mt. Washington Village.

1 comment:

Pam Givens said...

Beautiful work. I love ceramics and my husband has adorned our home with some terrific wood fired pieces. I'm into mosaic and so our house if full of beautiful art.
http://www.contemporarymosaicart.com