Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ten Question Tuesday - Stonehouse Studio

Hello! Who are you? Give us the 411 about yourself!
My name is Betsy Baker. I've lived in Boston for the last 30 years or so. But I was born and raised in Latin America. I also traveled all over the world when I worked in the travel biz in my previous life. So I'm very much a citizen of the world.
When/how did you start your business?
About 5 years ago the travel department at the large advertising agency where I worked was centralized to another city. I opted to take a buyout package and devote myself full time to creating polymer jewelry. Best decision I ever made!
Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I find it hard to tear myself away from the studio, but I make time to meet with other crafty friends, do lots of shows and try to get to the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts) at least once a month. And, yeah, there's the dreaded gym...
What first made you want to become an artist?
I've been handy all my life, but never thought I had an artistic streak until I started fooling around with polymer clay one day. Talk about an artistic epiphany!
What inspires you?
Color, texture, dimension. One thing I've learned since devoting myself to my art is to really look at things. I might start at a twig for 5 minutes - my neighbors think I'm connecting with nature, but I'm really looking at all the shades of brown and gray!
What's your favorite thing about your craft?
The versatility of polymer clay. Is there anything you can't do with this stuff?
Where would we most likely find you working?
In my in-home studio. I live in a 160 year old row house in Charlestown, one of Boston's historic neighborhoods. It's a great place to work and create.
What's your favorite music to listen to while you work?
Classic rock. The louder the better.
What's your favorite thing right now?
Doing indie shows. I love the vibe and fellow vendors. And there's nothing like getting instant validation of your work. It's physically hard, though. That's why I go to the gym - to train for shows.
If you could have one wish granted for the craft community, what would it be?
To never again be asked "Did you make all this?" and "How long did it take you to make this?"
You can check more of Betsy's work in her etsy shop http://stonehousestudio.etsy.com

No comments: