Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Wall of Cork


I started this project thousands of corks and 3 years ago. I can't finish dry wall to save my life and I thought,"It'll be easier to just cover this in cork." Famous last words.


But I have always wanted a cork wall. I've seen cork boards before in bars, and I know I've seen corks for sale at craft stores, so they must be a popular thing to make. So, my husband and I told every wine drinker we know to save their corks for us. And they told every wine drinker they know. And, man, did they send us some corks. See the row of champagne corks? Dude, that is a lot of champagne!


OK, so it would have been a lot faster and easier to figure out how to finish the dry wall, but I have to say, I love my cork wall. It's nice to have a place besides the fridge to tack up the art projects Pepita brings home from school. And I imagine that this is where our Christmas and birthday cards will hang, too. And it wasn't really that hard to make.

7 comments:

Designs by Leslie said...

That is a great idea! What fun. Thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

Wow! I recently made a memo board out of corks and I can't imagine how long it would take to save up enough to do a whole wall! The look is great!

Sweet Pepita said...

Thank you! It was encouraging to see the progress- that kept us going. A friend commented that it looks like stone from across the room.

namoo said...

Amazing!

Unknown said...

How did you do that? Can you send me instructions and more pictures to my email?

VMalhiot@hotmail.com

Jill Popowich Designs said...

Shannon, that is awesome! Very cool idea and it looks fabulous!
If you have any extra champagne corks left, you should check out the Design Within Reach chair contest.
http://www.dwr.com/display.do?ruleID=101077

Anonymous said...

You should post this project and your instructions on Readymade.com. (That way, you don't have to e-mail it out separately to everyone. And we'd love to see it up...) Good work.