Thursday, April 21, 2011

Paper Wheel Accessory Tutorial


Like most artist/crafters I carry a sketchbook around with me most of the time. In this sketchbook I scribble ideas or sketch things that catch my eye. Every once in awhile I flip through my sketch book and I always find a little something that I forgot I had...this tutorial is one of those sketchbook Easter eggs.


This easy to make paper wheel can be used for a multitude of projects and is super easy to make. I made two samples, one uses photos and can be used as gift tags or party decorations. The other I turned into a flower name card.

Other ideas:
  • Gift topper instead of a bow
  • Christmas tree ornaments
  • Gift tags

Supplies:
Card stock paper
Scissors
Glue stick
Pencil

  1. Download paperwheel_template.jpg and print it out full size (a scale has been placed on each jpg to help with printing at the correct proportions).

  2. Trace six circles onto a piece of card stock paper and cut them out.



  3. Place the triangle template in the center back of one of the cut out circles. Trace two sides of the triangle using a pencil. Repeat this step for all the circles.



  4. Use these lines as a guide to fold the paper. Fold all six circles.





  5. Place glue on the back side of the folded circle flaps. Glue flaps together with the point of the triangle facing in towards a center.






Flower Pot Notes: Take a small pot and place a piece of floral foam in the bottom. I covered my foam with moss. You can use a dowel for the stem, I painted a 9” dowel. Glue the paper wheel to the top of the dowel and use the leaf patterns at the bottom of the paperwheel_template.jpg page to create your leafy nameplate.

Written by Kolleen Kilduff of Design by Night

No comments: