Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tigerlillyshop’s Jewelry Demo

Monica Hampton, the Director of Education for the Council for the American Craft Council was looking to find local crafters in Baltimore who might be interested in partnering with the ACC to do some demonstrations during the retail portion of the show running February 22-24 at the Baltimore Convention Center. She told me that the ACC was trying to reach out to a broader audience and include the DIY market as well as people who make a living making a smaller volume of product than what one would equate with the status quo ACC base. Hampton mentioned that she was hoping to collaborate with Etsy a bit, and asked Adam from the Etsy Marketing team to help her contact me regarding my interest.

I am thrilled that she contacted me! This is a fantastic opportunity for me to get some wide exposure given that nearly 15,000 attendees come through the show floor!


In my demo, I will show the process and explain how I encapsulate organic objects in a copper shell to make one-of-a-kind pieces of nature jewelry. The many steps of the electroforming process will be exhibited, such as selecting a suitable object, plating in an acid bath, and finishing.

Last year I was lucky enough to be voted "Best Local Jewelry Designer 2007" by the Baltimore City Paper. Then, this inquiry from the ACC demo came through Etsy in December. In January, a writer for the Copper Development Association's online international magazine called me to feature my electroforming on their website (this article should be launching Monday). Wow, the web is an amazing networking tool! My head is still spinning.

Look for an article in the Examiner for info on the ACC show, my involvement, and images of my work!

Here is the ACC Demo Schedule for Saturday, February 23rd:

10:00 a.m. Show Opens
11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Allison Fomich, Tigerlilyshop – Jewelry electroforming
1:00-2:00 p.m. Erwin Timmers, Washington School of Glass - Recycled glass
2:00-3:00 p.m. Allison Fomich, Tigerlilyshop – Jewelry electroforming
3:00-4:00 p.m. Terry Todesco, Crash into Ewe - Yarn dyeing
4:00–5:00 p.m. Sam Wallace, Baltimore Clayworks artist,– Traditional Jamaican hand building
5:00 p.m. Demonstrations end
6:00 p.m. Show Closes

Post written by Tigerlillyshop

2 comments:

Yummy & Company said...

good luck girl!!!

Juliet said...

I just love your work! Can't wait to see what is next!