Twenty things you didn't know about Laura from Bakerswife.
1. My full time job is teaching elementary art. It’s awesome! I love my kids so much.
2. I adore Sondheim musicals. The most widely-known of these would be Into the Woods, from which I have drawn my username, my favorite character. She is known as “the Baker’s Wife” throughout the play.
3. My brother got into Juilliard for grad school!! He begins this fall.
4. Next to teaching and making art, singing is my love. I’m in a chorus and I take voice lessons. However, I am now having vocal problems which seriously bum me out. I won’t be able to sing much in the Mozart Requiem we are doing this week! That masteropiece does a lot to explain all the fuss over Mozart. Much of his other work seems to lack passion, but a guy who could be responsible for such music must have had something astonishing. It’s close to perfection.
5. I’m a bit of a music junkie in general. iTunes informs me that I have 10,304 songs. A basically alphabetical artist sampling:
Dale Warland Singers
Univeral Hall Pass
West Side Story
? Is there a band beginning with this letter that does not stink?
? See x.
6. I once tried to be a jock. For a few years in high school I played basketball and volleyball, but determined that I am too sensitive and intellectual for that, and I really belong in choir.
7. Baking is something I do for fun, and I would like to branch out a lot more, but the bottom line always seems to deliver a reality check- nothing is better than chocolate chip cookies.
8. I can watch babies like other people watch TV. They’re just riveting. I adore kids of all ages, really.
9. When I read to my students I do all the voices and funny noises.
10. I majored in Art Education at Towson University.
11. Someday I will buy myself a potter’s wheel, because I find throwing on the wheel tremendously satisfying and calming. It’s something I picture my self doing well into old age.
12. I come from a family of musicians. My mom sings and plays piano. My brother is a trombonist. My dad plays cello, violin, mandolin, banjo, guitar, and bass. He bought an accordion off of eBay but no one uses it because it smells funny.
13. Evidently, my current TV lineup is somehow dominated by reality shows! This I admit with chagrin. It includes: Jon and Kate Plus 8, What Not to Wear, Mythbusters, and when possible, the Daily Show and Colbert Report. My true favorite, and the only thing I do watch every week, is Project Runway. Currently, I am concerned about its welfare.
14. I heart MarioKart.
15. School is something I always loved as a student, so it should come as no surprise that I am now employed in one.
16. My taste in food is akin to that of a nine year old. Macaroni and cheese, pizza, bread, hamburgers- these are all favorites of mine, but then I do adore crabcakes which might be cause for hesitation in some kids. I do eat my veggies, though.
17. When I was a little girl, I loved earrings so much that I would make them out of anything I could find. Puzzle pieces, leaves, construction paper, you name it. I would then tape them to my ears with band-aids and proceed to WEAR THEM IN PUBLIC. Once I wore some frogs with googly eyes and the nice lady at the bank gave me an extra lollipop because she liked them.
18. I enjoy fishing and camping, as long as I don’t have to touch the fish or bait, and there are shower facilities on site. I know it sounds odd but actually, we do this quite often as a family. My dad takes good care of me, what can I say? He’s just happy to have a girl that likes fishing.
19. When I go to the beach, I spend hours collecting what must be gallons of shells. They usually make it home, but after that, they seem to get sucked into a black hole. Or, mom pitches them. Not sure which.
20. My roommate and I often converse in Kelly-speak, used in the hilarious (or inexcusably silly) shoes video. Sometimes we forget ourselves and do it in public.
Would you like to be featured? Email your twenty things (keep it clean, please!) to baltimoreetsy (at) gmail (dot) com. Be sure to include your photo, name and URL.