Saturday, May 23, 2009

Red Velvet Truffle Balls

My sister’s friend made these one year for Christmas, and they were fantastic! This year I decided to make them for gifts, and everyone loved them. Who can say no to a red velvet truffle ball? Variations of this recipe are all over the internet, but thought I would share with you all how I made them! First of all I want to let you know that I used box cake mix, however if you are not as busy as I am, and would like to make yours from scratch I recommend this recipe from good ‘ole Paula Deen.

Alrighty, first things first, Mix the cake mix according to package directions –



Next bake the cake according to the package/recipe directions.

Let the cake cool then crumble in a small bowl and mix with one can of frosting – this is where you can get creative, I used rainbowchip frosting, but you can use any kind that you like, including your homemade specialty!



After the cake is crumbled and mixed thoroughly with the frosting, roll into balls and place on a baking sheet. Put the baking sheet in the fridge for a few hours until the balls are firm. Melt some chocolate in the microwave or double boiler – this is again where you can get creative, I used milk chocolate, but you can use white or dark, or mix it up!

Then dip the balls in the chocolate and place back on the baking sheet. Once they are all dipped and on the baking sheet place in the fridge for the chocolate to harden, then enjoy!



These are fun to make, and can be made in any combination you want! Like chocolate? Use chocolate cake mix and chocolate frosting! A fun summer treat? Try strawberry cake mix and coconut frosting! Also toppings can vary; I used jimmies, because I think they are fun and add color, sprinkle mini chocolate chips, coconut flakes, nuts, or your favorite treat on the outside to personalize them! This is a treat that everyone who has tasted loved! If anyone out there makes any let me know how they turn out and what fun combinations you’ve come up with!

Written by Jessica.

No comments: