Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What I'm Working On: Shelly Daly



Yesterday I gave my self some time to experiment with different tools and techniques that have been lingering in the back of my mind for awhile. It was like a gift to myself not to be working on specifically goal oriented projects. Not surprisingly, I enjoyed every minute!



I had this idea in the back of my head that i wanted to put images on beach stones and was inspired by stamping techniques, specifically embossing powder and heat. Here are a few first pieces that show the potential. I particularly like the transparent bird on the large stone for its subtleties but I also like the sun. I played around with press on letters coated with diamond glaze and omni gel...not so good, too shiny. I also got a new heat tool and I burned patterns into wood beads (and burned myself a few times in the process).



Now I'm thinking about how I can marry my two different worlds and use color with my beach stones....but I'm also reminding myself to keep it simple...I like simple even if you can't tell it by the photo of my studio!



I was surprised to see in the photo how chaotic my space appears because when I'm there I am engulfed with a self of calm and possibility! None the less, the photo has inspired me to consider some clean up/organizing time if only for the sake of visual serenity.



Written by Shelly of A Stone's Throw

1 comment:

Dina Alexander said...

Shelly, I like waht you're doing. I like that you're continually migrating in a new direction. Keep going girl! xo