Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ten Question Tuesday - Tasha McKelvey

Hello! Who are you? Give us the 411 about yourself.
I’m Tasha McKelvey and I am ceramic artist & designer. I live in Richmond, Virginia, with my husband and our beagle. I also teach pottery and art classes sometimes.

When/how did you start your business?
I started my pottery business right after I finished college in 2000. I worked as a potter’s assistant in high school and as soon as I took my first ceramics class in college I knew I wanted to be ceramic artist.

Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I like to spend my free time gardening, working on our new old house & cooking.

What first made you want to become an artist?
I have always wanted to be an artist, it was never really a choice. I love working with my hands and making things.

What inspires you?
Currently I draw my inspiration from contemporary ceramics, illustration and nature.

What's your favorite thing about your craft?
I love opening my kiln after a glaze firing, it’s like Christmas morning every time. When you glaze something you have a picture in your mind of what it will look like after firing it, but it rarely comes out exactly as you expected. Every piece is unique and a surprise.

Where would we most likely find you working?
In my new little studio on the second floor of my house. We bought our first house this Spring and I moved my studio to the new house in May. I love being able to work from home!

What's your favorite music to listen to while you work?
I listen to a lot of Sun Volt, Flaming Lips and Mates of State in the studio.

What's your favorite thing right now?
My garden is my favorite thing right now. I never owned a place before so I didn’t see any reason to invest much time in a garden. Now I am enjoying planning, planting and watering the garden.

If you could have one wish granted for the craft community, what would it be?
For the general public to have a better understanding of the value of handmade work, but I think there is a growing awareness.

See more of Tasha's beautiful work here.

5 comments:

Sweet Pepita said...

Congratulations on your new old house, Tasha!

Sweet Pepita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yummy & Company said...

Love your work Tasha!

Designs by Leslie said...

Tasha's work is so beautiful. It is wonderful to have some insight to her personally.

TLF said...

Beautiful work!