Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ten Question Tuesday - Sofia Masri

Hello! Who are you? Give us the 411 about yourself.
My name is Sofia Masri and I make jewelry out of porcelain clay! I'm 31 and live in Chicago.

Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I like to go to antique stores and watch movies. Look at fashion and interior design magazines and drink tea. Daydream about exotic vacations. Go to museums. Sing in the car. Cuddle with my chubby dog and cat. Spend time with my loved ones. Travel when I can and make beautiful things. Eat cake!

What first made you want to become an artist?
It really wasn't a choice! I'm pretty sure I came out of the womb this way. Drawing and painting were my favorite activities as a child and teenager. I went to art school to study fashion design and tried almost every medium before settling on porcelain.

What inspires you?
I'm most inspired by classic, timeless design and interesting textures. My favorite periods are Victorian, Edwardian and Art Deco.

What's your favorite thing about your craft?
With the exception of the night before a big craft show when I'm frantically putting pieces together, it's really relaxing. I take out some clay, start working and the next thing I know, six hours have passed.

Where would we most likely find you working? I work out of my parents' house, where my mom and I have our kilns. She makes beautiful porcelain trays and dishes.

What's your favorite music to listen to while you work? I listen to the tv. Mostly crime dramas and shows like Cold Case Files. I love true crime shows.

What's your favorite thing right now?
It's a person- my fiancé, Brian.

If you could have one wish granted for the craft community, what would it be?
That people would stop underpricing their work and give their craft, skills and time real value.

Check out all of Sofia's beautiful work in her Etsy shop.

2 comments:

sugar paperie said...

What a wonderful interview. I've been admiring Sofia's work a lot lately. Now I just need an excuse to treat myself to one of her lovely necklaces!

FuzzyMug said...

Really pretty! I love the bright green one. Beautiful stuff.