Recently real-life pirates have been extremely nasty and causing a lot of bad PR, much to my chagrin. I generally love the swash buckling, rum swilling, wenching fictional buccaneers that come to mind when someone mentions the word “pirate.” So to help re-warp my mind into thinking that pirates are a fun group of guys to hang around, I decided to craft my own tricorne pirate hat. Of course mine will have a little flair—well okay, a lot of flair—with large lace, flashy trim and lots of feathers (I’m part raccoon and love glitzy, feathery and fury).
If you wonder why the rum is gone and think a pirate’s life is for you feel free to follow these steps to turn a round, black felt hat in to a swashbuckling fashion accessory.
What you will need:
Black round rim hat, rim should be at least 5” wide or a Felt hat blank
Metal straight pins
Black embroidery thread and needle
Embellishments to taste (I used lace and ribbon)
Ostrich Plumes (the more the merrier)
Hot glue and gun
* Tip: my black hat was originally a seven dollar clearance sun hat so keep you eye out for large brimmed cheap hats to turn into the perfect pirate hat!
1. Glue trim to the base of the hat.
2. Pin three sides or the brim to the round hat section creating an overall triangle when you view the hat from above
3. Sew the three folded brims to the body of the hat using about half inch “X” stitches.
4. Hot glue lace or trim to the edging of the brim
5. Trim feathers and glue them in the fold of one side of the hat to finish it off
6. Put on your new creation, batten down the hatches and sing a chanty, you are now a pirate!
Post written by DesignByNight