Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Favorite Handmade Treasure: Plush Goodness

I've struggled with writing one of these for so long now, because every time I think I've decided on my "favorite", I remember something else that I just couldn't part with. Handmade things have been a part of my life since before I was born. My mother made me a quilt... for nine months. She passed the time, while she was pregnant, sewing and stitching. I've got oodles of ceramic pieces I've collected from generations of women before me. Our house is filled with paintings my husband's grandmother did. As an art student, we both collected work from our friends and hosted art swaps at the end of each semester. For years we've requested only handmade gifts for the holidays and birthdays. And then there's the plush... oh my, is there the plush. I justify my plush purchases as "research" and "business", ordinarily, but earlier this year I ordered an incredibly unique bit of Plush, that I absolutely wouldn't call anything but "mine, all mine".
That's my little family... as Plush.
Have you ever?!

These "PlushCatures" are made by Leeanna, the genius behind Plush Goodness, a fellow Etsy Plush Team member. I first "met" Leeanna in cyberspace, when she commissioned me to make a Knitimal version of her sweet dog, Waffle, and it was somewhere around there that she told me she'd once made a plush version of her husband and herself for her niece; when I saw the pictures of them, I was totally sold. I knew I needed a plush version of my husband, our dog, and myself. It was a stroke of luck that I realized we could time it so they'd be ready for our first anniversary.


I sent along photos, and invited her to check out our wedding blog; Leeanna asked some very good questions, designed to get the most out of her subjects. I provided her with nuggets of info and color preferences and little things that would make the pieces REALLY ring true.

Like for example, the extra careful attention paid to Mason's double coat. You can't really see it here, but the legs have two layers of fleece "fur" that actually move and wisp like Mason's hair. She captured his two tone ears and really got his majestic tail. And there's gorgeous stitching on the body to accent his blond highlights and dark brown lowlights.
Hubby's wearing his favorite colors & cool stripy socks (he's always got cool socks on). She totally captured his giant, wonderful smile. The jeans look SO real. The gold stitching on the pockets and fly front are impeccable. She even used reclaimed denim & other materials because she knew we'd want it that way.

me? well, i'm easy. All I need is a t-shirt with the neck cut out (check), a comfy pair of jeans (check) and a pair of crocs (double check.. how cute are they!?). She got my two tone hair & my favorite colors... and notice my smile is more of a smirk than a big full on smile?

yep. that's good detail.

I love all my handmade possessions, but I feel safe saying I finally have a FAVORITE handmade treasure. When I'm away from home or at a show, I can still take my boys along with me... in my suitcase! If you're interested in being Plushed, visit her shop and drop her a line. We've already decided she's going to make a new set of Us's for our anniversary every, oh, 10 years or so.

2 comments:

Block Party Press said...

I can totally see why they're your favorite! So cute!

Leeanna Butcher said...

you're so welcome Dana! I had a ton of fun making these. :D Thank You for having me be a part of your anniversary.