Saturday, October 11, 2008

I Sew Knits

And so can you. Of course you can!



I resisted buying Sew U: Home Stretch by Wendy Mullin and Eviana Hartman for a long time because I already know how to sew knits. Actually, I've never bought an instructional book on sewing before, ever. Until yesterday. I convinced myself that I could stand to use the included patterns to make myself something cool for a change.

Was it worth it? Sure. If you don't sew regularly, this would be a good place to start. Wendy assures you that sewing knits really isn't that tricky, and so will I. But it does take practice. Get this book and experiment, and don't even worry about completing a project until you've played scientist with your fabric and your machine. Make charts with fabric samples and thread tensions. Be stubborn and you will figure it out.

She recommends a serger, and I have to say, I really, really want a serger (Hello, Santa? Are you listening?) But I have sewed hundreds of tees and dresses and more with my conventional sewing machine with no problem. It takes a little more time and a lot more finesse to sew knits this way, but it's totally possible.

If you already know how to sew knits, you might appreciate the variation of patterns and ideas for garment reconstruction. Regardless of your level of experience, it's always helpful to explore other artists' styles and methods to help develop your own distinct style.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Oooh, Shannon, I want a serger too! Thanks for the inspiration~

tigerlillyshop said...

Omg! I just bought her first book Sew U the other week. And I also, have never bout an instructional book on sewing. But my friend had both the knits and this one, I just had to get one for myself;)