Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Favorite Handmade Possession

I worked in Guatemala for a little while and got to visit the old capital city of Antigua, where there's a shop that sells old, used huipils (a traditional blouse for women in Guatemala). I bought a few, but now wish I had stocked up while I was there!



One of the huipils I bought has a really colorful pattern of birds and flowers embroidered on it, and you can tell it's been worn, which makes me like it all the more. I wonder about the life of the woman it belonged to. I have it hanging up in my kitchen where it cheers me up on the dreariest day with its bright colors.



I love what La Chapina does with her used huipils, like using them to surround this mirror.

If you're heading to Guatemala anytime soon, make sure to pick some up!

1 comment:

Yummy & Company said...

gorgeous fabric! i wanna go on your next trip!