Monday, April 27, 2009

Indie-Pendent Business: Broom’s Bloom Ice Cream and Dairy Store

When we read Broom’s Bloom Dairy excellent ratings on Zagat, I could barely wait to go there. Oh, and I’m so glad I did; their ice cream and farm fresh produce are THAT good.

This farmhouse turned ice cream parlor is located on a dairy farm, owned by the Dallam family, which dates back to the early 1700’s and has supported nine generations of Dallams. Dallam family has been milking cows and making artisanal ice creams for much of the past 10 years.

Not only do they offer a large selection of ice cream flavors, (They often rotate their flavors so you never quite know what they are going to have) they also serve a wide assortment of fresh, all natural soups, stews, chowders, quiche and sandwiches. They also carry a selection of foods and seasonings from local farmers who share their philosophy of responsible and sustainable farming along with their own artisan cheese, pork sausage, lamb, beef, free-range eggs, seasonal vegetables and cut flowers.

While it’s hard to choose, my favorite ice cream flavors are Dirt and Coconut Chocolate; I also loved the Italian sausage we brought home on our last visit a week ago.

The farm is located on 1700 S. Fountain Green Rd, Bel Air, MD, but Dallam family also sells their wares at the Waverly's 32nd St Farmer's Market in Baltimore; if you don’t feel like driving up to the farm – which is totally worth it, though! You can enjoy your homemade ice cream sitting on the picnic tables outside watching the sunset by the grain silo or inside, in the vintage farm decorated ice cream parlor.

Directions From I-95:

Take Exit 80/MD543 off I-95. Head toward Churchville off the exit. The farm is about 4 miles from the exit. Continue on MD543, cross Rt. 136 and they are on the left. Look for the sign. If you go as far as the light for Wheel Road, you've gone too far.

Post written by Spa Therapy Works

4 comments:

bakerswife said...

I want to be there now. Sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Wow...thanks for writing about it! I can't wait to go and try it out:)

Yummy & Company said...

we should plan a field trip to the farm?!

VW Studios said...

How did I not know about this! I'm dying to go. (I'm a bit of an ice cream fanatic!)