Thursday, April 23, 2009
Twenty Things: Sylvia Ortiz
New York native Sylvia Ortiz, now based in Baltimore, has been heavily active in the urban art scene since 2002 having her first solo exhibition that same year. As a working artist she has exhibited her work across the globe with artist groups such as The Antagonist Movement and The Soup Group. You can see her work at her upcoming show beginning May 1 at Definition Gallery.
1. i'm a self professed dorkus maximus
2. i'm the biggest chicken on the planet but can't live without my scary movies
3. i am also an anime junkie
4. chocoholic to the max
5. i have a comic book collection
6. ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i love animals....what girl doesn't :-)
7. o o o o i love video games!!!!
8. can crack my collar bone, wrists and ankles
9. i've got a double jointed thumb
9. i have a potty mouth
10. i know how to fish and I'm pretty good at it
11. i make a mean ass Coquito (look it up)
12. got accepted to copper union's prestigious portfolio prep with just 2 sketchbooks at 20...it was the beginning of my professional schooling in the arts
13. my biggest accomplishment was beating the odds and surviving the urban jungle i grew up in
14.graduated from parsons school of design in 2002 but my diploma says 2003
15. my artwork has traveled the world and the furthest I’ve been is D.C.
16. i'm a space cadet who can quote nietzsche
17. i think my H. S. teacher hit on me when i was teaching art there.....weird
18. i am amazing with tools i can teach ya how to build a house or do it myself
19. i have chronic endometriosis...
20. i was born Summer of Sam in the city that never sleeps, my mom dyed her hair blond and cut it short, was 9 months pregnant with me when the infamous blackout of 77 happened.... true story.
Would you like to be featured? Email your twenty things (keep it clean, please!) to baltimoreetsy (at) gmail (dot) com. Be sure to include your photo, name and URL.