Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Indie-Pendant Business - Bear's Paw Fabrics

I found Bear's Paw Fabrics in a search for the biggest purchase I've made since buying my car. I walked into the shop excited, albeit a little nauseous, but Pat quickly calmed my rickety nerves.

I am not an impulse buyer and I can talk myself out of damn near anything (unless it has sugar on it). And I will admit to you, that I typically research a big purchase for weeks... first online, and then in person, before even considering laying out the money for it. My search for the perfect serger was no exception.

What led me into Bear's Paw Fabrics was their Bernina stock. The shop is a Bernina of America dealer and they carry it all.. sewing machines, embroidery machines, sergers, coverstitch machines. And while they must be a quilter's dream, what with their huge selection of printed fabrics and beautiful batiks, I bet the incredible wealth of knowledge that each of the shopkeepers hold is just as important to their customers.

I spent 1 1/2 hours at the shop on my first visit. I called my mom. "Mama, they're really nice here, it's a local shop, they'll give me classes and make sure I'll know how to use it and I think it's a really good price." And she agreed, it sounded good. "Berninas are good machines, too," she said.

So I bought two. Yeah, I did!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I am so glad to read this--I'm in the market for a new serger but am intimidated. I will check them out!

Sherry said...

2 ??!!!!
Whoooo-hooo!
now you're sewing- or serging???
:)

GlowGirl Fibers said...

I've been hoping to get over there to check it out, now I'll have to after reading this....I'm hoping to make it there this weekend, since I'll be over that side of town to go to the Sugarloaf show in Timonium. Thanks for the positive posting!! And 2 machines...you must be having a blast learning them!!